Another facet of my being a SAHM is experimenting in the kitchen. Hence, the birth of another category in this blog, Foodventures. Expect homemade yummies, not-so-healthy cravings and viands straight from cookbooks and websites.
To start off this new category, I chose my homemade banana cupcakes. Starting Z’s first monthly birthday, I’ve been making cupcakes from the box. Not so healthy and creative, eh? So, this month I tried making my own from scratch. Here’s what I used:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 pieces mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coco sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
The steps are fairly easy:
- Sift flour. Add in the salt and baking soda. Mix well then set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and the two kinds of sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients. When everything is incorporated, fold in the bananas.
- Put in the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add in the chocolate chips and mix.
- Be sure the oven is preheated in 375 degrees.
- Pour in batter into muffin pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Do the toothpick test to know if the cupcakes are done.
- When the toothpick comes out clean, take out of the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
You may opt to put in walnuts for added crunch. Also, cream cheese frosting goes well with these.
I could further improve this recipe by adding crushed pineapples to add moist in the cake. But, overall, I think it was enjoyed by the people who tasted my first from-scratch baked goodie!