Cheesy Chessy

My Brave Little Z Part 2

Warning: graphic content

Read Part 1 HERE.

So, here’s what happened during Z’s teeth extraction…

He was scheduled for operation at 8 in the morning at Centuria Medical Makati. We were there an hour early but there was no electricity yet as some parts of the building were still under construction. I was worried that Z will throw a tantrum or ask for food (no food or water since he will undergo anesthesia) because we were waiting for so long. I wasn’t too keen on rescheduling everything. It’ll be another day of stress for us. Thankfully, the electricity got restored a little past 8 and everything was a go!

I tried my hardest to keep calm. We were briefed by the pedia anesthesiologists on how they were going to sedate Z. We were assured that he’ll only feel uncomfortable when he smells the sleeping gas and will just go to sleep from there. I’m thankful that they answered all our questions and gave us tips on how to comfort Z when the anesthesia wears off.

Because Centuria is a fairly new hospital, they don’t have scrub suits for kiddie patients yet. Z wore a regular scrub suit but didn’t want to wear the cap. I was relieved that he didn’t resist when we were dressing him up. I carried him to the operating room and sat him down on the dental chair.

IMG_2606 IMG_2605

As expected, he resisted in smelling the sleeping gas only because it was a new smell. He was even holding his breath! When he was knocked out, he got an IV line and the anesthesiologists intubated him. When everything was in order, my mom dragged me out of the operating room and we went to have breakfast. She was more anxious than I was!


After eating breakfast and nursing Y, I went back inside the operating room at around 11:30 am. The crowns were in place and only 1 tooth was left to be extracted. It was a little crushing to see your kid in that situation. It made me think of Caitie and all the other kids who live with needles and wires every day.

IMG_2618 IMG_2616 IMG_2620

After 6 teeth extraction, 2 fillings, and a silver tooth, Z was wheeled in the recovery area, still sleeping. I asked for Bry to be allowed in so I’ll have help. It was close to 1 pm when he started waking up, crying, asking us to remove something from his mouth. I think his gums were still numb he thought something was blocking it. Blood was still trickling from his mouth but thankfully, he didn’t vomit as what was expected after undergoing general anesthesia. We had to hug him just so he’ll refrain from touching his mouth. When he finished a pack of Dutchmill, that’s when we knew that the medicines were wearing off.

IMG_2623 IMG_2621

You’d expect that after a grueling morning, we’d be going home immediately. But no. We still went around Century Mall which was just across the hospital! And there, Z got his prizes (thank you Wowo and Wawa!) and even asked for food! Sadly  (or not!), he was on soft diet so I got him Bono Gelato’s Milo Dino! But he still asked for food so we just ordered pancakes and gave him small pieces to nibble.

I’m just so relieved that everything went well and that Z didn’t have a hard time adjusting now that his front teeth are gone. He even said that he looks like a vampire!


Now, we always make sure to brush his teeth especially after eating sweets!

I’m grateful for the competent team of dentists and pedia anesthesiologists and hospital staff who took care of us! For those asking, here’s our pedia dentist’s details:

Dra. Crissy Capicoy

BrightSmile Ave. Dental Clinic

Unit 305 McKinley Park Residences, 3rd Avenue, BGC


Hooray for my brave little boy! I hope I could muster enough courage to have my teeth checked, haha!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.